Charleston Favorites

History:  It’s everywhere.  You can find it in Charleston’s designated historic districts, and you can find it outside of them. When we’re in Charleston we just get out and walk—down Meeting Street towards the Battery, on the side streets (some of them cobble-stoned), in and out of shaded squares.  We read historic markers and dig up information on our phones, and by the end of the day we’ve walked so much that we’ve forgotten to hit up museums or shops or anything, and that’s why this post won’t be the best Charleston travel guide post you’ll ever read.  But here goes  . . .

Roadside:  Charleston’s not the best for roadside kitsch (it’s fancy), but chances are you’ll see something good on the way there, especially if you take the backroads or come via Myrtle Beach.

Food:  The city has some of the best restaurants in the south, but we’re creatures of habit and usually end up eating at the same places, preferably places that don’t have crowds.  Some restaurants we like: Fish (for good seafood and a vegan tofu steak alternative), Gaulart & Maliclet Fast and French for a light lunch, City Lights for coffee.  We usually go to Caviar and Bananas for coffee and vegan granola bars and sometimes for lunch. On our list for next time: Bon Bahn Mi.

Sleep:  The John Robinson Cookhouse is perfect if, like us, you want the experience of staying in a historic home without that sometimes awkward bed and breakfast vibe.  You can rent out the top or bottom floor of the kitchen building of the early 19th century era John Robinson home, right across from Wragg Square and practically next door to the Aiken-Rhett House Museum.

Shop:  I don’t usually do a lot of shopping when we go to Charleston (too much to see), but one of these days I’ll brave King Street to see Worthwhile .

Museums: On my list: Drayton Hall, the Charleston Museum, and the Confederate Museum (to see if it’s really as creepy as Tony Horwitz wrote it out to be in Confederates in the Attic).

Parks:  In town, White Point Garden on the Battery is a must-see.  The gardens at Middleton Place plantation are supposedly the oldest landscaped gardens in the country, and I can’t think of anywhere else where you can see Civil War ruins, English-style terraces, and wild alligators all in one place.  Magnolia Cemetery, on the outskirts of town,  is set up like a park, with rustic pathways and spanish moss everywhere.

This entry was posted in Favorites, South Carolina. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

6 Comments

1. Anthe Tyndell
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

Love this post! My favorite City! Will have to book the John Robinson Cook house next time!

2. Posted January 29, 2013 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

I love every single Southerly post, but my favourites are the ones about places I’ve been to, and loved! This post makes me so nostalgic – and now I wanna plan a trip back to the South!

Still so glad you two started this blog!

3. Posted January 30, 2013 at 12:30 am | Permalink

Thank you for this! In my mind I am planning a fall trip to the south that includes Charleston, Savannah and New Orleans (three places I have never been!). Your recommendations are much appreciated!

4. Emily
    Posted February 3, 2013 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

so glad you enjoy my beautiful city! if you ever do get around to shopping I also recommend Hampden Clothing (about two blocks up from Worthwhile on King st). If you find yourself on Daniel Island dont forget to have dinner at Sermet’s Courtyard- it has super authentic mediterranean food and is run by Sermet himself. There is another Sermet’s downtown but it is not actually owned by Sermet anymore and is boring and overpriced. As far as downtown goes, I would also recommend the Belmont (very authentic prohibition-era bar with super talented bartenders and silent movies playing on the wall), La Fourchette (upscale french food), Barsa (spanish inspired tapas), Five Loaves (great little soup/salad/sandwich place), Xiao Bao Biscuit (trendy but very authentic Asian restaurant), and Virginia’s (traditional southern cooking).

5. Posted February 4, 2013 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

Yessss, so happy about this post! I want to go to Charleston again soon so this is awesome. Last time we were kind of rushed and didn’t really know where to go, so I don’t feel like I really got the vibe of the place. Definitely have to try that tofu-steak!

6. Posted December 21, 2014 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

This iis my first time visit at here annd i am genuinely pleassant to
    read everthing at alone place.

2 Trackbacks

• By Walking around Charleston on January 29, 2013 at 7:40 pm

• [...] wrote up a little Charleston travel guide post on The Southerly.  Disclaimer: we’ve been to a lot fewer museums/restaurants than I [...]