The Birthplace of Elvis

We’re not big Elvis Presley fans, which is probably why we didn’t make a stop at The Elvis Presley Birthplace the first time we were taking interstate 78 past Tupelo, Mississippi.  That day we were on our way to Oxford, and I was more interested in getting on the Natchez Trace (however briefly) and stopping at the Tupelo National Battlefield, which turned out to be somewhat anticlimactic.  Just a small patch of grass and some monuments located right off the roadside, surrounded by urban sprawl and a few leering locals in pickup trucks.  We should have went to Elvis’ birthplace instead.

Because when we did make it back to Tupelo a few days later, the museum was closed. But we could still walk the grounds and see the house where Elvis Presley was born: a tiny two-room shotgun house built in 1934, supposedly for a grand total of $180.  A nearby church is just as modest.  The First Assembly of God Church, where Elvis sang as a boy, was restored back to its 1930s appearance and moved to the property a few years back. The complex is quiet and humble and about as un-Elvis as you can get.  The anti-Graceland.

This entry was posted in History, Mississippi. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

9 Comments

1. roberta
    Posted November 18, 2012 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

next stop: graceland too?!?!?

2. Posted November 20, 2012 at 12:43 am | Permalink

you guys should go to graceland! I’d love to see it through drew’s lens. and I love that shotgun house, I’d take it over his graceland mansion any day (provided two room living is do-able). it’s so starkly white and beautiful.

3. Posted January 4, 2013 at 7:25 am | Permalink

Our purchase essay writers are masters, doctorate and Ph – D degree holders therefore the
    essay that you order to purchase is done by a writer of your
    academic level. Picking a choice over a stroller continues to be simplified.
    In the 1830s Benjamin Potter Crandall began to market the first baby carriages in the United States and they immediately turned out to be well-liked among
    the folks that could afford them.

4. Posted January 16, 2013 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

Can I simply just say what a comfort to uncover an individual who
    actually understands what they are talking about on the net.
    You definitely understand how to bring a problem to light and make it important.

More people must check this out and understand this side of
    your story. I can’t believe you’re not more popular because you
    definitely have the gift.

5. Posted April 17, 2013 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

Hi friends, pleasant article and nice urging commented here, I
    am actually enjoying by these.

6. Posted May 7, 2013 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Hey there would you mind letting me know which webhost
    you’re utilizing? I’ve loaded your blog in 3
    completely different browsers and I must say this blog loads
    a lot quicker then most. Can you recommend a good web hosting provider at a reasonable price?
    Thanks, I appreciate it!

7. Posted July 13, 2013 at 4:53 am | Permalink

The pro perk would help you when you need to get a stun around a corner very fast.

Your wedding favors are a wonderful place to check out something a little distinct.
    This makes a entertaining do it yourself challenge for the innovative bride,
    as you can refinish a thrift shop find by sanding it and painting it in your wedding ceremony colors

8. Posted July 15, 2013 at 7:37 am | Permalink

At this time I am going away to do my breakfast, later than having my breakfast coming again to read
    additional news.

9. Posted April 11, 2014 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

fantastic submit, very informative. I wonder
    why the opposite experts of this sector do not realize
    this. You should continue your writing. I’m sure, you have a
    huge readers’ base already!

2 Trackbacks

• By More Mississippi on November 13, 2012 at 2:55 am

[...] I know) we stopped at Elvis Presley’s Birthplace in Tupelo, which you can read more about here.  It was closed when we went, but no matter; mainly I just wanted to see if the house was really as [...]

• By notepadku.com More Mississippi | notepadku.com on November 13, 2012 at 8:00 am